Saturday, June 2, 2007

Good Friends, Good Food, Good Music

Last night was the night Brian and I celebrated our combined birthdays and anniversary. We had great tickets to see Harry Connick Jr and it was so fan-freaking-tastic. He is simply amazing. We saw him several years ago (pre kids) but it was in a big sporting arena and we were really far away. This was in a theater and we had orchestra seats and it was just really good. They played some of his older stuff and a bunch of jazz standards. His new CD is a tribute to the music and culture of New Orleans. Harry is just brilliant. He sits behind the piano with no music in front of him and just plays the devil out of that instrument. Fingers flying, he's singing and cracking jokes with the band. Even if you aren't a huge jazz fan, he will make a believer of you. I don't think my foot stopped tapping the entire evening. If you EVER have a chance to see him, GO. Do not collect $200, just GO.

Before the concert we went with some of our bestest friends to one of our favorite trendy restaurants downtown. Now if only I could convince my husband that quantity does NOT necessarily beat out quality where good food is concerned... Sigh. He will always be a Red Robin/Olive Garden kind of guy and I love him for that. At least he is willing to go to little non-franchised places with me for special occasions. Even if he does make snide comments about the prices and portions and foods he can't pronounce!

Today is supposed to have great weather so we will play in the pool, ride bikes, and enjoy it. Today is also our day to help clean the church, so that will be a good service opportunity for the girls. Life is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun time! I think I will definitely have to put Harry on my list of concerts to attend one day. Plus, he's just so darn good lookin'.
(No, he is not on my list. I do not even have a list.)

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a good time! And WTG for going outside the norm and treating yourself to an extra nice dinner, even if the "guys" couldn't read the menu, lol!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, in my defense, one of the desserts had chilli in it. What kind of dessert is made out of chilli!?! Thank goodness for the massive slab of carrot cake!