Jillise just came home from school saying that her bag was SO HEAVY. I started to empty it out and it hit me that tomorrow is the last day of school and then I will have a second grader and a kindergartner. I loved sitting and going through her portfolio of work that her great teacher put together for her. She has grown and learned so much this year and I can't believe it is OVER. I remember those last days of school. The feelings of excitement mixed with nervousness with what lies ahead. The feelings of sadness that the year is over and that you won't see many of those friends over the summer or the next year.
Many have asked what decision we came to for school next year. For now we are going to continue with public school. She really likes it and has good friends. We got word from her teacher that she is in class with another girl that she is friends with who is on the same reading and math level as Jillise. She is a good girl whose mom has many of the same views on parenting that I have. I am assuming that since the principal honored that request of me that she will also be paired with a teacher that will be compassionate and loving towards her when she is having moments of anxiety but who also won't let her get away with crying all day long. It's a delicate balance.
Of course there is still the issue of sending my naive child out into a world where other seven year olds have watched and experienced things I am trying so hard to protect her from, but for now we will just hope that our prayers, FHEs, and her common sense will keep her safe. And as for my piano lessons sucking up our together time, I am going to try to come up with a schedule that should allow for me being more present in their lives after school. I hope.
11 comments:
such a sweet post Paige! I hope that our little sweeties are together this fall too....we can pray really hard that it will happen!!!
I can't believe the year is over! Now if the weather would just cooperate we could enjoy our summer:)
As a teacher...this was THE MOST exciting time of year! Yea for summer vacation. Now bring on the sunshine!
You and Brian are wonderful parents! I'm sure things will go well in public school although I understand your concerns. I agree with the 'lots of prayers'! I'll be doing the same thing next year ;)
We have been having anxiousness over our schooling decision as well this past year. Kindergarten was an interesting endeavor this year... My daughter is in a great Montessori School, but sometimes I think homeschooling her would be best... and then my Husband says "just send her to the public school, I went there and didn't have any problems, and she'll be fine!"... So we're not on the same page in this house right now... I was in public school my whole life, and didn't turn out awful, but I wonder how much BETTER my education and learning experience COULD have been, and I don't want to just shove our daughter through the system... I want it to work for her! Sorry about the rant! I came to vistit to let you know I tagged you on my blog!
This is kind of a bitter sweet time isn't it? She was so cute on the way home today. We were talking about how tomorrow was the last day of school and she chimed in so totally matter of fact that she's sure she's going to cry tomorrow, but it will be alright.
I hope your kids get teachers that they click with - that makes such a difference in learning, especially in the younger years. I have had to petition change several times for one of my kids. I've told them that while they are responsible for the whole, I'm responsible for the one...and done what I needed to insist on something that worked better for her.
Here's to a few carefree days in the summer sunshine before you have to worry too much about the next school year!
I so understand how fast time goes by and I so understand how you feel . Hugs,
*oh the last day of school - I always looked forward to it because it was the ONLY day during the school year that I got to bring a cold lunch!
*Glad to hear that Jillise will have a friend in her class next year.
*And her comment about crying on the last day of school, oh my! . . . . at least she is a girl is very aware of her emotions!
I am glad this year is over - but sad at the same time - if that is possible. You are doing a fantastic job with your sweet children - and I totally know what you mean about the after school time - at one time I had 28 students and there was no after school time - I finally decided my kids were more important than teaching piano and I was happy with my decision - I love teaching so it was hard! You are awesome!
Let me know what kind of schedule you come up with for after school. I'm struggling with that majorly. :)
Love your new header!
Whatever choice you made it was going to be okay! Im glad your feeling a little more at peace with all of this! Enjoy summer !
Post a Comment