I wrote this review yesterday morning for Twilightmoms.com. They had a section where people who had been to a screening could put their thoughts for people who wanted to know. So here it is! There are a few spoilers, but nothing big.
It is going to be absolutely panned by the critics. I am sure of it. (Uh, yeah, I was right). The beginning is really slow. Really. Slow. Like so slow that I was wondering if I was going to be able to sit through it again on Friday with my friends. Rochelle said the same thing in the car. I think this is probably because it takes a while to lay the groundwork for the relationship and the movie and I already KNEW the groundwork so I was thinking, "LET'S GET ON WITH THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!" There were some scenes where the audience laughed and I don't think they were supposed to. Like the very first biology scene where Edward is so conflicted. And the dazzle scene. I agree with whomever said he looked sweaty. That was kind of the over all effect, though it wasn't THAT bad. There are some editing issues that I found, and coincidentally, both were in the scene that we watched be taped when we were invited on the set in April. I don't know if they are noticeable to anyone else, but they jumped out to me. There are some parts that come off as cheesy. And there are some parts where the acting looks not so great. But Rochelle and I couldn't decide if it was bad acting or how the characters are.
I know it sounds like I hated this movie. I really didn't. It was a rough start, but the ending was fabulous. Some of the camera work was fabulous. They did a really good job of keeping to the book. They did a GREAT job with Charlie and Bella's relationship. All the scenes with the Cullens are great. Like others said, I really wish there were more. The baseball scene, the hunt, the fight... all that is fantastic.
I think the movie was produced with two assumptions: You have read the book, and they are going to make a sequel. I don't know how well the movie is going to read to those who haven't read the books. Which is why I think it is going to get dismal reviews. There are enough akward/bad/cheesy/choppy/poorly edited scenes in the movie that will be quickly overlooked by those who can see the big picture and who already love the characters. But not by those who are coming expecting to hate this over hyped film. Some scenes and characters just don't even make sense in the movie if they don't make a sequel. Like Jacob. He is in here SO little and he really is pointless without New Moon.
I am looking forward to seeing this again. All off my presumptions and expectations are gone and I can just enjoy it for what it is. I tend to be hyper critital (part of that darn fine arts degree) and I tried REALLY hard not to be and I think I accomplished that. It was good entertainment and I think I had an objective mind. But I really think it would be impossible to make this movie appeal to every fan. These are characters that we have personified in our minds. The scenes have played out in our imaginations over and over again and of course our imaginations aren't the same as Catherines, or Stephanies, or anyone elses. I think it is the same as the Breaking Dawn. There was SO my hype, and all of us went into it wanting/expecting something. Some got it, others didn't.
So I give it a B/B-. But go see it. I know you all will, anyway. I am keeping my thoughts from all my friends. I want them to be able to go into it and take it as it is, without any of my opinions and thoughts. Like I said, I really liked the last half. If they could have put more of that action and intensity into the first half, cleaned up a few things, and fixed a few parts that came off as funny when they shouldn't have, it would have been a B+/A-.
9 comments:
I have never had high expectations for this movie, but hope it will be fun! I was disapointed from the moment I heard who they cast as Edward. Robert is just not Edward material in my mind:)
Thank you very much. I kind of think I'll be on the same page as you after I see it.
HMMM- I found this very interestin- I have not read any of the books- but I would like to see the movie and see that cute cute actor that plays Edward..mmmm. I find it is always better to see movies first and then read the books- because if I read the books first- I am always disappointed because the characters never live up to the ones I create in my mind. I think I will definately see this movie.
Thanks for your input, it doesn't spoil much for me. It reminds me of the time when i was dating someone who was in "The Last of the Mohicians" Tons of hype for Daniel Day Lewis(loved Him) at that time, they shot scenes in the mid west and I got to be a part of seeing it made. I wasn't disappointed when the movie came out i liked it didn't love it. i had more of an open mind, however i remember the Critics having a hay day with that movie. Tom my old flame was in it for maybe 10 seconds if that.LOL. Dax still teases me to this day when that movie airs. (Dax was the reason tom and I split up) anyway i am glad you had the experience you did that in it's self is pretty cool.. see you at the gym
Um...vampire movie? I'll pass. If someone who loved the books couldn't love the movie...someone who couldn't be motivated to read the books probably wouldn't find movie love either. I love to read, but these books just never appealed to me.
However...I know this is something you have really enjoyed getting into, and what cool experiences you have had with being on the set and being part of an advanced screening.
Nice to have a little adventure now and again.
Thanks for the review. I've always had a feeling it wasn't going to be an award winner, but I think I'll really enjoy seeing all of the local sights.
i understand about the laughing but i couldn't help it. and i agree you have to read the book or you won't characters as much.
I went into it expecting it to be cater WAY TOO MUCH to teens. And I think going into it like that actually made me enjoy it more. Cause it's NOT what I thought it would be and it WASN'T catered to teens the way I thought they might and for me that made it more enjoyable. I agree with the sweaty sparkle. That was no good. There were DEFINITELY some cheese, I think expected with this sort of film, but overall, I think it's one of those, sit back and take it for what it is, as with Breaking Dawn. And with that attitude it can be enjoyed. I think overall I agree with all you said. I think it was catered more to those who have read the book, but they tried to build it up at the beginning for those who haven't. But I loved the casting. I think they did a great job for the most part. That could be that I saw the trailers before I read the series so they are who I pictured in the book as I read the series. I think that's a bonus as well.
Wow that picture is not as bad as i thought it would be haha! once again.. we had so much fun with you guys!! email me if you ever want to get together for anything since i don't have a blog. allielovesfood@gmail.com
hope you and rochelle are both having good weeks!
Post a Comment