Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Want To Do It MySEFF!!

We have entered the Age of Independence. That period in every two, three, or four year-olds life when they are CONVINCED that they can do everything for themselves. That period where our family is now perpetually late for everything. It starts first thing in the morning. Not only does he have to GET dressed by himself, it takes him two to three minutes just to choose what design he wants on his pullups/undies. Then he has to get the stool, open the freezer, get the waffles, and put them in the toaster. Then use the tongs to REMOVE them from the toaster. He has to put his own sandals on , buckle himself in his carseat (which is new and which he cannot do very well yet -- and if he feels the car move just a fraction of an inch he screams bloody murder). He wants to choose what he eats every day and what we watch on TV.

In some ways this stage is nice because it does lead to REAL Independence. But in many ways I miss just being able to do it for him (quickly) and being on time for things. Unfortunately Jillise inherited my need to be prompt and Jaren just frustrates her to no end. But any attempt to hurry Jaren up results in one of two things: He will either throw a screaming tantrum all the way to event (resulting in being on time but so disruptive that you have to leave again to discipline him in the hallway), or he will throw a screaming fit until you give in at home and let him START OVER doing it on his own (resulting in being late).

So please excuse Paige's tardiness on _____________ (fill in the date). She is attempting to teach life skills to a three year old headstrong little boy without losing her mind in the process. I would like to state that this will never happen again, but quite frankly, that would be a lie.

Sincerely,
Paige's Conscience

5 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Sophia has been this way since she was 18 months old and it has only continued. I have never met a more independent child. It is very frustrating sometimes. Okay, most of the time.

Good luck with this new phase!

Aundrea said...

right there with ya...Although we've always had trouble gettting anywhere on time (I guess now I have someone to blame my tardiness on).

The Hone Family said...

lol I thought I was looking forward to the time when Aidyn would be more independent, but now I just want him to stay little forever! ;) Good luck, keep up the awesome work!!

Shannon b said...

oh the joys of toddlerhood!

Michelle said...

Ah, those were the days! Just wait till he's 12 and thinks he really can do anything himself.(Like walk to the store, go to the movies, etc. alone.)