I am what one might call "petite." Works great if you really enjoy wearing stiletto heals and you don't want to tower over your man. Or if you are stuck riding in the back seat of a car (as far as legroom goes -- I still get carsick back there). Not so great any other time. Seriously, I tried to think of other times it has come in handy and I am drawing a blank.
Being petite REALLY stinks when you are trying to buy new clothing. Because clothing manufacturers seem to think that "petite" means geriatrics who have begun to shrink. Or Asian women who for some reason love crazy, bright patterns. (This is not a prejudiced remark -- I have lived overseas and this is merely an observation made over the years.) This department is usually full of elastic waisted poly blend pants with seasonally themed sweaters. If I need a nice tapered leg jean, I know where to look. If I need a blouse with an attached necklace and shoulder pads, I know where to go. If I want hot jeans that don't go four inches past my heel or a casual belted jacket that I don't have to roll four times to keep it from covering my hands I am up the creek without a paddle.
I went shopping for jeans last night. I have three pairs of jeans in my current "size." They were all purchased the last time I was at this current weight. One pair fits if I don't have to flex my thighs. I bought them new off of eBay. They are GAP and I have one pair of GAP jeans that fit great, so I ordered that same size. Evidently this particular style is for preteens who have absolutely no fat OR muscle on their legs. They are that tight. The other pair is high(er) waisted and just doesn't fit right. It's just not pretty. That leaves me with one pair of functional pants.
So I headed out to find a new pair last night. After trying on jeans for an hour I came home with two shirts. Short sleeved shirts because I don't have to roll them up. Yes, I know it's November. I only went to one store, but this store had TONS of brands. Juniors, Misses, even some jeans designated as "short." No luck. Some looked great except for the length or if I bent over. Others would have fit until I drank a glass of water, then I would have bust out of them. I guess I will try again later today. We are going to Vegas in two weeks and I need something to wear.
When I am down to my goal weight I am taking my tax kicker refund and going to Blake downtown to find the PERFECT pair of jeans. I will even get them hemmed if I have to. By that time it will be warm outside and I will be able to wear my new short sleeved shirts.
My next shopping hurdle... bras. But I won't write about that.
6 comments:
I TOTALLY HERE YA! Just the other day my mom was asking why I wear short sleeves when it is cold. I hate rolling them up and looking so dorky. Jeans, well I have decided I am just not supposed to have any that fit well. Even the short are a mile too long and either they are too low waisted or they are too high. I never win when it comes to jeans!
I'm sorry about the petite thing! That sucks, maybe for our next RS snack and yak we can learn how to alter all of our clothing:)
Girl...you are preaching to the choir! I would pay a fortune to have someone alter my pants...they are always way too long.
I don't know if this applies to jeans but I was told by a couple of places that petite refers to the rise...about bras, I've just been through that - I didn't have a lot of luck at Victoria's (well, it's not much of a secret!) But the lady at Macy's spent some time with me and I tell ya - I didn't even wait until I got home to make the switch - I changed in the car! I agree with Oprah that most of us aren't wearing the right size and type of bra.
I just had my first pair of pants tailored last month for a function with Dave's firm. It was fabulous. I found a pair that fit so well, except for being too long. And now they are made for me.
Seriously...go the tailor route...it is so very worth it.
As far as t-shirts...don't know what to tell you about that...good luck! And congrats on your great weight loss!
Please write about Bras...the jeans entry was hysterical! Maybe you could bring back the oh so cool trend from the 80's...pegging! ;) remember how cool that was? p.s. I love the 1977 blog! Lauged my trash off! xoxo kam
Post a Comment