This child is a genius. I just know it. He has gone from saying next to NOTHING to a literal EXPLOSION of vocabulary in the past two weeks. It all started with us looking at a Dora book. I pointed to Boots and asked what a monkey says. He answered "Eeee Eeee Ooooo Ooooo." I about fell off the chair. He NEVER answers the animal sounds. Just looks at us like we are bonkers when *we* make them. He then proceeded to tell me the sounds a cow, dog, cat, fish, duck, lion, and snake make. Then I notice him saying "Push" every time he is playing with the remote, or the dishwasher, my computer, or the CD player. He says "OK" when I ask him to do things. He brings me a pack of gum and says, "Gum." He is saying what we think is "Paige" (gotta nip that one in the bud). He is singing along with songs. It's CRAZY. Today he brought me a Littlest Pet Shop goldfish and said "Fishy" clear as day. There are tons of other words he has said in the past week that I just can't think of right now.
I have to wonder what else that kid has rattling around in his head. The formula for turning water into fuel? The secret to world peace?
He has also begun to develop his sense of humor. Brian and I have decided that with my thirst for the spotlight and his smart-alecness we have created the perfect class clown. When the hometeachers were here last week Jaren went over to my bookshelf where I keep my music and opened the glass front door. He walked to the other side of it and started flattening his nose up against it and making silly faces and sounds at our guests. Nice. The more we laughed the more he hammed it up. I think he was trying to do the blowfish on the glass and he's never even SEEN one. We're in trouble. I tried to get it on video, but once he sees the camera all he wants to do is see what I'm seeing in the viewfinder. So it doesn't work.
I am loving watching this little guy grow up. He keeps me on my toes and heaven knows he has given me more than my fair share of stress and worry with his constant crying for the first eight months of life, then his determination to do everything on HIS schedule -- developmental charts be darned. But I am confident now that he's all good. He just likes to be the one calling the shots. And boy, is he!
12 comments:
Oh what a sweet picture! I love your little guy, and think that he is doing JUST fine :)
he's a cute little guy. I'm sure that he's just been spending all these months observing & processing, taking research on female behavior (he's got plenty of material to observe), and figuring out where this little BOY fits in the mix! He's obviously found his niche and now he's going to tell you all about it!
When I first looked at that picture, I thought "Who is that?" He looks so grown up!! I absolutely love this age of explosive learning. My Girly is just the same age and everything she does just amazes us. We have it in common, also that our toddlers are the first of their gender in the family, so that makes their accomplishments even more worthy of acclaim :)
I'm so happy for you that the stress is lessening and that he's getting himself right on track.
And on top of all that, he is just the cutest little boy you can imagine. I just want to squeeze him.
(Do you think I shamefully biased in favor of my only grandson?)
Karla
That is such a cute picture. I think that that was how Olivia was with talking. At 18 months, it was still nothing nothing nothing. Two weeks after, complete sentences. We worry about silly things as parents. How many kids NEVER learn to talk?
And with a housefull of girls, why encourage it?
I'm glad he finally decide to share his knowledge with you. My boys have all been that way, from no talking to talking nonstop overnight. He is such a cutie, especially when he plays in forts!
He is so cute. What a great picture! I love when the kids start talking and then I wish they would stop! j/k!
I love the pictue! Isn't amazing how kids can do so much more than we realize then one day they just show you and all you can do is stand there with your mouth hanging open wondering what just happened!
Sounds like you are in trouble now. Maybe he will be like Zach...he hardly said more than "gink" until he was two and then shocked us by reading at 3. Tricky kids!
He is a cutie!
Water into fuel, now that's what I'm talking about. Isn't it wonderful to watch our children blossom. He is such a sweet boy.
Post a Comment