Monday, October 6, 2008

The Big Reveal - Part II

On to the kitchen and dining room!!


When you open the front door, a little hallway leads to past the stairs on the left, the new living room on the right, back to the kitchen. The kitchen is along the back of the house. To the right of the kitchen is the new music room/office and to the left of the kitchen is the room where we used to have the TV and old gross couch. There was a breakfast nook there where we had our small table. On the far side of that room on the far left of the house is a pantry, bathroom, and laundry room. One of the biggest things keeping us back from doing any sort of room switch sooner was the fact that the linoleum from the kitchen extended into the little breakfast nook, then there was carpet for the area where we had the couch and TV. To make that area into a dining room would mean the table would be on half carpet, half linoleum. Blech. So here are some before pictures. I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel because I didn't really take many good before pictures. So these are just random ones that showed how the room was set up. And yes, my kitchen was lime green. I loved it. I had the color picked before we even moved in. The color makes me happy. But it was not really a color you could extend into the dining room without it starting to look like overkill. So it's gone.

BEFORE
The lime green walls, with the scripture I had in vinyl letters above the sink. That thing took FOREVER to get off.


The yucky couch, with the pile of shoes, bags, coats, and everything else in the corner. That door leads to the garage. We park in there, so that is the door that we use the most often.The breakfast nook. You can see where the TV was here in this picture. Behind Joelle are sliding doors to the backyard.


Looking from the TV area into the kitchen. Don't mind the mess. It usually looks that bad. I have gotten used to it.

AFTER

The kitchen is now a warm reddish/orange. My designer recommended a color that wasn't so bright, but I was sold on this. I had lime green before, remember? I'm not afraid of color. This is the view as you come down the hall from the front door.

The orange really makes the cabinet color look warm.This is standing in the entry way to the music room, looking into the kitchen.
Standing in the kitchen, looking into the dining room. The color going down the entire wall really unifies the space. That is the light fixture that used to be in the room where the piano is now. After many trips to Ace Hardware, I rewired it and hung it myself. Go me! There is a regular flush mount light in the music room now. Also done by me. The table really goes well in here and we can fit people all the way around it. There is even plenty of room to use the leaf on Thanksgiving! That cabinet in the back corner has all of my sewing stuff in it. It was SO easy to pull it out really quick this weekend to do a few little projects. We still need drapes in this room -- I am thinking offwhite with a band of khaki or green along the bottom.

The hutch. The hutch that no one could really get to an enjoy in the other room because the room was too small. That is my great grandmother's china. I am so excited that it can be shown off now.

A closeup of the re-covered chairs. They used to be white. And cloth. A horrible combo for a dining room with kids. This fabric has an orange stripe in it that I used for the kitchen walls. This is also the fabric above the sink and covering the chain on the dining room lamp. And the chairs are covered in the oh-so-chic spill proof vinyl.

Thanks for visiting!

20 comments:

terica said...

YOU'RE MY HERO!!! It looks amazing...you are amazing!

Bill and Tara said...

Wow Paige- can you come over to my house! That looks amazing. I love the wall color and the floors look awesome. Are you sure you should not have been teaching Art/Design at AFJR?

Jill said...

Wow, it looks great. I'm SO impressed...electrical work too! You're my hero! Great job.

Gina said...

It looks great. I'm impressed that you tackled the lights and rewiring yourself. I think I would be to chicken to even try messing around with electrical work.

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Paige, you are the bomb!! (I heard some kids use that term:) And it looks so cool!!! And you can sit back and say "I did it myself" Way to go.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I am SO impressed. It looks superb! The colors are wonderful, the layout seems so much more functional and I am ever so impressed with your electrical skills. Again, you inspire me!!!

Shannon b said...

everything looks fabulous! I bet you guys are just breathing a big sigh of relief -- it's finished, AND you have so much more (usable) space!! And I'm so impressed that you did all that electrical work YOURSELF! Go you!

Toshia said...

Looks great! I am so glad you guys were able to get everything completed and figure out how to use your space. I love home makeovers!

Michelle said...

Lookin' good! And kudos to you for tackling the lighting project on your own!

Candy said...

love that kitchen! It all looks great! Good job you guys!

Lara Neves said...

It's perfect! I love it! I wish I weren't renting so I could paint my kitchen red or orange or green. Anything but yucky white. Oh well, someday! :)

And we love the vinyl on our chairs. We had white sans vinyl before, too. Horrid after just afew days. This has been great for the aesthetic factor.

Megan said...

Wow! You've been busy, it looks great!

Marie said...

I really like it - I'll have to check it out in person at Megan's next lesson! Good for you on the electrical - I've done that once - felt accomplished and able and have let Jeff deal with it ever since!

Rochelle said...

WOW! It looks so nice! I love it! The floor is beautiful, I can't wait to come sneak a peek in person!

Jennie said...

Can I just say I LOVE the honesty about the kitchen shot! :) It made me laugh! ("It usually looks like this, I have gotten used to it") I think we all get so over stressed about trying to make stuff look unreal in our blogs... Hehehe... Love it Paige! It all looks awesome! I am one that doesn't shy away from color either!

Jodi said...

The hard work has sure paid off! It looks fantastic! I love the color in the kitchen and the layout of everything looks so much more family friendly and functional. Enjoy the fruits of your labor :)

Anonymous said...

OH, it looks so wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

I've been in awe looking at these pictures! Seriously, I'm way impressed! It all looks SO good!!!! I need to come over for the grand tour soon. I think we got the same desk as you!

Tiffiny said...

The house looks incredible! Be very proud of yourselves!

Sariah English said...

I really love how it all looks! I think the color in the kitchen is fantastic!! Wish i could see it in person!