Sunday, January 27, 2008

Farewell to a Prophet

I just got news from my sister that the President of our Church, Gordon. B. Hinckley passed away today. He was 97 years old. He was such a great example of humility, generosity, leadership, and obedience. I loved listening to him speak because his love of the Savior was always evident in everything he said. He had a sense of humor, but never used it to belittle or embarrass. He was a wonderful embassador of the church and he will be missed. But my heart swells with joy to think what reunion must be happening on the other side right now. And I love knowing that the priesthood keys that he held will continue on through the next prophet and that the church will continue on, without pause.

6 comments:

Shannon b said...

thanks for sharing the news. So sad, but so happy that he is now reunited with his dear wife.
It was so weird . . . at the same moment I opened up your blog and said, "Oh my goodness!" to Scott, the phone started ringing with his brother on the other line to share the news. And 2 minutes later my parents were on the phone as well. News travels fast.
He will definitely be missed.

Aundrea said...

I also just got off the phone with my mom telling me the news. I'm so sad, but happy for him! I'm grateful that we don't have to question what will happen now? Heavenly Father is so mindful of His children and always takes care of us!

Rochelle said...

I will miss our Prophet.

kam said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

It hit us pretty hard. And in about one hour we had 4-5 emails and a few phonecalls. It has even been on the news. I'm so thankful that I was able to live at this time in order to know such an incredible man. He will be missed, but I know he fulfilled his mission.

Tiffini said...

I love that synopsis of his character. Well said. My first thought when I heard was...he is with his wife again, how wonderful. I just can't feel sad knowing that--but he will surely be missed. He is a great man.